Monday, October 11, 2010

An Interview With Susie McKay Krieser

Girl With the Curl
acrylic on canvas 40 x 20"
Susie McKay Krieser 
Susie McKay Krieser’s bold and vibrant works explore the divergence of stimulation and serenity.

When did you first realize you were an artist - or have the courage to identify yourself as an artist?

My college degree is in Art, with a Business minor. I concentrated on Graphic Design and Photography. When I graduated, I worked as a Graphic Designer and a Cartographer. I became a real estate salesperson and discontinued my art for more than 30 years. Six years ago, after having taken a year of art classes, I was approached by two interior designers, who owned a store in Lake Tahoe. They asked me to frame my work and sell it in their store. That was the beginning of my professional life as an artist.

Can anybody be taught to be an artist or is it an innate ability?

I believe it is an innate ability, although everyone can be shown how to do it, and learn to enjoy the process. It is important to not have expectations and just let the magic happen. Making art frees us up mentally, putting us in touch with our spirit.



Have you learned any new techniques this year? If so, will you share what they are?

I learned how to do screen printing, which I am excited about incorporating into my paintings. I already use my photography in my mixed media paintings, and would love to do a version of it on canvas.


How do you decide on your palette?

My palette is a very subjective thing. It has to do with how I am feeling on a particular day. I find that oftentimes, the colors in my outfit are reflected in my art. My art is all about color and shape, and the correlation of one to the other.

Pink Cadillac

acrylic on canvas 24 x 24"

Susie McKay Krieser 
What excites you about painting?

I love mixing colors together and then figuring out the juxtaposition of the shapes. I love the challenge of reducing what I see to it’s essence, while still being able to articulate it. My goal is to find the essence of the forms.

Where do you find inspiration? Does your own life experience play a role in your imagery?

I continually push myself to see life in a new light, guiding me in new directions. Live models and my photography also serve as inspiration. I study the great works of Wayne Thiebaud, Andy Warhol, David Hockney, Amedeo Modigliani, Alex Katz, Rene Magritte and myriad of other fine artists. Studying art is exciting.

Whom do you make art for?

I make art foremost for myself, because it speaks to my soul. I also enjoy sharing it with others and the highest compliment in the world, is for them to enjoy my work. I feel that Spirit works through me, and that my work can bring comfort and inspiration to others.



Susie McKay Krieser

Susie McKay Krieser's exhibit opens November 2, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment