Monday, July 12, 2010

Anne Ramis Interview


The Infamous
Anne Ramis

Exploring new mediums with a playful approach, Anne Ramis allows her process to take unexpected turns and deliver happy surprises.

How long have you been an artist?

I have been ready to call myself an artist since 1983.

Why do you make art?

Because it feels good. It shows me parts of myself that I don't know or expect. It's fun. It's problem-solving. I go into a kind of trance state and get to use everything I've accumulated up to that point.

Can you name a few of the most important artists to you?

Massacio, the Master of the Portinari Altarpiece, Caravaggio---so many of those I studied in Art History. My studies didn't get up to contemporary art, so I'm kind on my own after WWII.

Did you go to art school?

Yes. High School, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and Brentwood Art Center.

Do you work in more than one medium?

Yes. Every year I work in a different medium, often combining them. I'm really motivated by having a show every year. It's freeing and it keeps me off the streets, or in the streets--a little of both.

What is your thought process while working?

I actually don’t have an end image in mind. I trust that I can get to a point where I'm satisfied. There's always the problem of going on past that. The process takes over and surprising myself is integral to that.

Is there a separation between your "normal" life and your art making?

No. All aspects of my life feed and reflect each other.

Do you find that the solitude is good for your art?

Yes and no. Sometimes solitude doesn't feel healthy. Often the ideas are generated from interactions with others and then built up when I start to play with them on my own.

Anne Ramis's exhibition opens July 20, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment