Saturday, March 28, 2015

Art Story: Shelley Lazarus

Shelley Lazarus, "The Mah Jong Ladies of the Catskills circa 1950's" Watercolor and Limited Edition Giclees, 22 x 29 in
"Although I never met these 5 ladies, I know them so very well.
My mother and they played the game every Wednesday afternoon, rotating houses.
When it was my mother's turn, I was in charge of cutting the pineapple (in winter) or the watermelon (in summer) for the fruit plate. It had to be a new design each time. In the summer we all went up to a bungalow colony in the Catskill mountains, where the game continued.
As a teenager I watched them bet, flip the tiles and concentrate on their hand.
And while they played they gave me wise lessons on life, love and the art of growing up.
They were my mother's best friends and my adopted aunts.
Bertha, Helen, Belle, Sylvia and my mother Rose.
This is my tribute to them."

See this and other works by Shelley at TAG through April 18, 2015.

Artists' Reception: TONIGHT, Saturday, March 28, 5-8pm
Artists' Talk: Saturday, April 11, 3pm

No comments:

Post a Comment