Monday, April 4, 2016

Artist Spotlight: Donn Delson

Donn Delson used lasers to create his most recent body of work at TAG, "Light Amplification", 
on view through April 16. 

Here are some of his thoughts on his art practice. 
Donn Delson, The Journey, Archival Print, Acrylic Facemount, Edition of 5, 48 x 48" 
I'm currently obsessed with Light Amplification. Using a special laser light facility, in an otherwise pitch black environment I was able to experiment with laser light vectors, focal lengths, color, motion, and exposure in order to accomplish my vision for each image. It was a transformational experience for me, and Light Amplification is the focus of my current show at TAG.

When I work with lasers, it feels truly like I am painting with light. I’m intrigued with light in nature and its counterpoint--manufactured light--how it’s manipulated, how motion effects light and how light effects motion.
Donn Delson, Resonance, Archival Print, Acrylic Facemount, Edition of 5, 48 x 48"
All art is personal. Great art is universal. As an artist I choose to present images that have emotional meaning for me. If I'm able to create work that resonates with others, in whatever way it may, then I am doubly pleased.

I use color to create a sense of balance within the laser images. How the colors interact and flow, as in a painting, allows each photograph to tell its own story, evoke an emotion.
Donn Delson, Passion's Embrace, Archival Print, Acrylic Facemount, Edition of 5, 40 x 60"
In this study, I’ve been exploring the relationship between light and color. James Turrell's use of light and space in his installations and Jose Parla's use of layered color and materials on canvas are inspiring examples of how light and color can breathe dimension into a work--how they work together to create a sense of space and place. I strive to achieve that sense of dimension photographically.
Donn Delson, Of Earth and Sky, Archival Print, Acrylic Facemount, Edition of 5, 40 x 60"
In all my photographic pursuits, abstract or not, I approach each work individually. The same approach I bring to my landscape photography, I bring to my laser images. Approaching my abstracts with a similar view for framing the image and creating a sense of place, there must be a special moment, composition, exposure, perspective, or sense that something feels right; a reason for opening the shutter.
Donn Delson, Upward Mobility, Archival Print, Acrylic Facemount, Edition of 5, 36 x 24"

Have any questions for Donn? Leave them here in the comments or ask them at the upcoming Artists' Panel Discussion with Donn, Christo Brock, and Gary Polonsky at TAG on Saturday, April 9, 3pm.

1 comment:

  1. Loved it
    Great colours
    @CazsBooks
    http://cazgreenham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete