Saturday, February 8, 2014

TAG Interviews Fielden Harper

"Urban Mosaic" is Fielden Harper's current exhibition at TAG.
Fielden Harper, Freeway Series V, Acrylic on wood, 40 x 11 in. each panel
We asked her a few questions.

Where did you grow up? Do you feel that your early environment had an influence on your artistic development?
I grew up in Kentucky and spent much of my time with my grandmother who loved to tell stories, sew, do needlepoint and make things for people she loved. Making patchwork quilts was one of my earliest memories. The grid is a form that I still use.

What are the key themes that run through your work?
My work tends to be architectural and most of the pieces tell a story. I look for iconic images and use my work as an informal documentation of the world around me.
Fielden Harper, Norm's, Acrylic on canvas, 24 x 18 in
Has your day job influenced your art?
I teach Art and Art History in a Middle School and the energy and enthusiasm of the kids is contagious - I think this spills over into my own approach to art.

What is the biggest challenge that you face as an artist? 
My biggest problem is finding enough time to work on my art so that I don’t get caught in a time crunch when I have a deadline. (Think that might be the story of my life!)

Tell us about your studio -- where do you create?
My studio is in an old hangar at the Santa Monica Airport and is a great place to work. There is a high window that lets a patch of sunlight make a path across the wall and reminds me of the pattern of sunlight in my grandmother’s sewing room.

May we have a peek?
Fielden's work can be seen at TAG through February 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment