Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Spotlight On: Joe Pinkelman

Joe Pinkelman, Plates #7, Porcelain, 42 x 42 x 3 in 
This is a series of work I completed in Jingdezhen, China at a residency called Pottery Workshop. It's the porcelain capital of China since around 1000 AD. I wanted to make a series of circles that would intersect visually yet still seem fragmented. One of the studios in Jingdezhen makes various sizes of plates up to 1 meter so I wanted to try that form out since I never explored plates before. 

I liked using the flower motif because it seems life affirming.
Toward the end of the series I wanted to experiment with some abstract patterns as in Plates #1. 
Joe Pinkelman, Plates #1, Porcelain, 54 x 36 x 3 in.
The last piece I created was Plates #9 
Joe Pinkelman, Plates #9, Porcelain, 72 x 26 x 3 in.
In the future, I want to explore fragmenting the figure by using recognizable figures from art history. 

My influence has always been Peter Voulkos and in this series, another ceramic artist named Paul Mathieu.

Joe's work is on exhibit at TAG through 8/8/15.

No comments:

Post a Comment