Saturday, October 3, 2015

Artist Spotlight: Della Rollé's "Laughter Heals Life" Step By Step

Della Rolle, Laughter Heals Life, Stainless steel, 28.5 x 12.5 x 12.5"
I have always loved sculpting the human form. Bronze, terra cotta, acrylic, wood and stainless steel all create beautiful surfaces on the figure. I am enjoying laser cut metals and wood for some of my figures more recently. On Laughter Heals Life, the words welded into the figure are: Laughter Heals Life (on the front of the piece) and Life is Uncertain so Eat Dessert First (on the back).

Here is how I made this piece:
I first drew the figure, and then sculpted the figure in floral foam.
Next I selected the sayings, the font, and the laser cut letters for my sculpture.
Then I started the welding process where every letter had to be carefully molded over the floral foam before welding.
Then I had the welding marks removed by coating the piece in stainless steel with a finish process called electro polishing.
I completed the piece by mounting it on a beautiful rotating marble base. 
The surfaces and contours of the piece reflect light and the words on the piece will hopefully make you smile!

This piece can be currently seen in Della's exhibition at TAG Gallery through October 24.  
There is an Artists Reception on Saturday, October 3 from 5-8 pm, 
and an Artists Talk on Saturday, October 17 at 3 pm.

Have any questions for Della?
Leave them here in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment