Monday, June 27, 2016

Artist Spotlight: Mary McGill on Clay

Mary McGill, Kissing Joy as it Flies, Ceramic, 20 x 7 x 7"
The paradox of ceramics appeals to me....Clay can withstand temperatures that will disintegrate humans, and yet it is so easily shattered....the same with human emotions, we can take and do so much, but one small comment can destroy our calm demeanor.
I enjoy telling stories that reflect my soul, and hopefully the viewer will go on a journey of discovery about themselves.

Currently I am working on a series of cats.... Giving human emotions and voice to an inanimate object. The eyes need to reflect what the mouth is saying...
Mary McGill, Carnal Thoughts, Ceramic, 23 x 11 x 10"
Birds find their way in to my work, building visions of ultimate nests or symbolically portraying flight... an inclination toward narrative appeals to me. Incorporating proverbs, icons, and idioms into my work have a humorous and ironic quality I cannot resist. The objects on display embody the story of my life and I try to electrify the space with my energy.
Mary McGill, Krusty, Ceramic, 15 x 6 x 6""
Clay is a challenging, resilient and lively medium. It responds to the touch in an immediate and spontaneous way that appeals to my senses. The challenge is allowing for the accidents. Every fracture, crack and mark activates the surface. It is the written dialogue between the medium and myself.
Mary's current show, Insights at the Edge, will be at TAG through July 9.
Come meet Mary at an informal Artist Meet and Greet on Saturday, July 2, 4-7pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment